Growing importance of IVF in today’s times
Most couples battling with infertility issues view in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) as the ultimate resort to bear a child. However, IVF is the most effective option for infertile couples, which should be considered the first step. IVF is, in fact, also the best solution for couples who cannot opt for traditional conception or pregnancy, such as same-sex couples or women with infertility diagnoses which makes it impossible to achieve the fusion of the sperm and the egg through non-assisted methods. The following are the reasons why IVF has come to assume immense significance in today’s times:
- IVF works where other infertility treatments don’t: In some cases, patients go through a series of fertility treatments before opting for IVF. This includes medications for fertility, intrauterine insemination, and so on. However, your doctor can recommend IVF at the very beginning depending on your infertility diagnosis, so that you don’t waste your time and money on fertility treatments that won’t yield any results for you. For example, blocked fallopian tubes, severe male infertility, reduced ovarian reserves, and/or advanced maternal age, IVF is the only option.
- Anybody can go for it: IVF can be an effective solution for surrogate or gestational carriers too. In fact, IVF has made it possible for many people to experience pregnancy and labour. Here, we are talking about same-sex couples, women who are physically unable to carry a baby full-term, single women, and so on.
- IVF allows the use of donated eggs/sperm: Under certain circumstances, your fertility specialist may recommend using donated eggs/sperm. Thereafter, the egg is manually fertilized in the clinic, and the viable embryo is then used for IVF. This increases the chances of pregnancy in the very first or second time.
- Control over timing: If you want to focus on your career till a certain age or have a unique life situation due to which you want to plan pregnancy at a particular time, you can benefit hugely from IVF which gives you great control over timing. You can also go for the cryopreservation of eggs or embryos. This lets you choose a specific window of time for your pregnancy, counting backwards to determine when exactly is the best time to proceed with IVF. Moreover, IVF also helps in spacing children in a way you want.
- Higher chances of a healthy baby: The path breaking technology of genetic screening ensures good health for the baby. Preimplantation genetic testing ensures that the foetuses used during IVF are free of known genetic markers. These are often associated with serious medical conditions such as cystic fibrosis, Down syndrome, sickle cell anaemia, and Tay Sachs disease.
- Minimises the chances of miscarriage: genetic abnormality, the most common cause of miscarriage, makes the body terminate pregnancy naturally. With the use of PGT to determine the genetic viability of an embryo ahead of time, mothers are more likely to enjoy a healthy pregnancy and carry the baby full-term.
Seeds of Innocence is a highly reputed IVF centre where you can seek medical help to address your infertility issues. We are a trusted clinic for IVF, IUI, genetic screening, operating across several branches across India.